Thursday, December 13, 2012

Being Brave...

There is something eerie about the way cancer survivors are portrayed.  It starts with the smiling, hat donning models that look out from rows of informational brochures at the cancer center. Touting headlines such as Lymphoma and You or End of Life Options the brochures make for macabre advertisement.

A bright-eyed woman holding hands with a loved one on the cover of  All you need to know about Colon Cancer seems to say "Look how fascinating this cancer diagnosis can be! I'm looking forward to this process - You should too!"

A stoic grandfatherly looking gentleman leans against a tree from the cover of Understanding your Prostate and retorts "I never wanted this prostate anyway."

After the diagnosis of cancer, the next images that are typically laid out for public consumption are those of  "survivors".  You know the ones - Pink hats, smiling faces, strength, strength, strength.

So here's the deal:  There is a lot that happens in the middle. And it's not all knowing smiles and pretty pink hats. 

I understand why images of smiling, happy people are chosen for "the face of cancer".  No one would pick up a brochure with Grandma breaking down and mouthing "WHY ME?"  But I also believe it is important to be honest - to be able to really prepare those who are on this path.

Cancer - and its treatment - is not pretty.  Surviving means getting down to the core of being human - with all the grit and grace that goes along with it.

This is why, on a cold day in October, my best friend and I ventured out into the woods to document "The Middle" of cancer.  At that point in time I had completed five of six chemo treatments.  I was not at my thinnest - I would lose another six pounds, require saline and blood to get through my final treatment.  And though these photos would never be used on the cover of Breast Cancer and You - they are reality.

Cancer is a brutal adversary.  But there is beauty and strength in standing up to it - and being honest.  I was here.  This is part of my story too.  I am not afraid.







 Photography is by Jennifer Borst - a most amazing and adventurous photographer whom I am lucky enough to call friend.  Thank you, sweet girl - for helping me to be brave and standing beside me through thick and thin.  Everyone should be so lucky.

18 comments:

  1. Oh Heather I am speechless. Amazing. I am so incredibly proud of you and your bravery and I am rooting for you everyday. Jennifer did an incredible job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beauty and bravery--the words that describe you to a "T"! The world is waiting for your book to be published--you are in that process, right? We all need to read it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Heather! Again you amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandma Ellen hit it on the head - B.B. I will add another B - brains. I am so thankful that you have Melon as your friend. Through her, I also love you dearly, more than written words can ever express.

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely beautiful and strong. That is all that needs to be said about you heather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you our love from all of us at StupidCancer.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who is currently bald during treatment, I loved these pictures so much. They make me feel that possibly, I am beautiful too. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are certainly beautiful (and much more attractive, bald, than I EVER was, during my chemo following endometrial cancer diagnosis). So brave of you to share these photos! And YES, this whole process is NOT upbeat and smiles. Ask any of us who have walked or are currently walking in these shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am currently in the reconstruction process. Just started it. My sister and I have been documenting this process since the beginning....I am thrilled to find someone who is also willing to be honest about "the middle." I'd love to talk to you more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rick-Simpson-Phoenix-Tears/171647872940185?fref=ts Please read this! I know some people don't believe but I do.... My son has MS and started using Cannabis 6 mo's ago not in the oil but smoke and is feeling a lot better and doctor see's improvements. God Bless You and your family MERRY CHRISTMAS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God Bless you and Merry Christmas! You are truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are an amazing, strong, brave & so beautiful lady! Thank you for sharing your story. Sending you all our prayers & hugs & love from Queensland, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely right. Those brochures can't even come close to putting a happy spin on a kid who hates his life because his tumor wrecked his perfect vision and he needs glasses with a prism lens because of permanent double vision; that he hates his life because he can't run or ride a 2-wheel bike anymore because his tumor affected his neurological system; that he needs a cane to walk and a wheelchair for distances; how he hates his life because he has to learn to write with his other hand (and does that better than many of his more able-bodied classmates); how he hates his life because he knows what he was and how he was "before" and will never be that way, again; how he spiraled into depression asking "Why me?" Well, now my boy can't hate his life anymore because he died six months ago, thanks to a tumor that wrecked his otherwise completely healthy body.

    I know it's all about marketing - everyone wants to have that hope of being cured, cancer-free, and God knows we all want that - but sometimes I just wish those brochures were all printed in black and white just to cut the crap a little bit.

    Thank you for your honesty and your bravery in putting it all out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the truth that only cancer families know all too well. I found your photos some of the most beautiful I've ever seen, along with those of my 8yr. old granddaughter. Her courage has been an inspiration to me and our entire family, as yours, has been to yours. God Bless you and your family.

      Delete
  14. Heather you are beautiful today as the day I met you. Thank you for being you. I feel so blessed to call you my friend. I miss you and wish you and your family nothing but happiness. <3 Roni

    ReplyDelete