Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Out of the Closet

Saturday morning cartoons are deceptive.  There.  I've said it.

 The "Acme" company may have gone out of business at some juncture - but they sure as heck don't deliver dynamite these days. And, it turns out that anvils are not as hazardous as one might come to believe. But, perhaps most important of all - there are no "good guys" or "bad guys" in life.  Certainly nothing that plays an ominous warning sound track when danger lurks.

If that were the case, I may have been prepared for the worst when in February of 2012 I discovered a small lump beneath my right arm.  It was smaller than a marble, larger than a pea - and at two weeks into a three-month insurance lapse I decided not to risk a "preexisting condition" to get it checked out.

To be truthful (insurance companies being the beast that they are) I'm not certain I would have done anything differently if I had known then what I do now. It's hard to say.  But waiting is what was decided upon.

Which is why it was not until the first week of May that I found myself staring down at a biopsy report with my name at the top along with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.

Big words for such a tiny little lump.  Big words with even bigger implications.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment